The Vocational Training Centers located on Ellisville State School’s campus provide training opportunities to allow each individual to develop to his or her full potential. Training programs are designed to benefit all individuals, regardless of functioning levels or abilities, by providing a variety of training tasks. As skills are gained, productive work is possible, which may enable the individuals to make a transition to sheltered workshop employment. The Sheltered Workshops provide employment opportunities to individuals residing on Ellisville State School’s campus and in the community homes. In addition to learning job skills, the individuals learn to accept responsibility, make decisions and to develop values which contribute not only to successful employment but lead to a satisfying and productive life.
Goals for Sheltered Workshops
- To provide a working environment conducive to training and employment opportunities.
- To provide equipment, resources, and training methods which will enhance each individual’s opportunities for success.
- To provide progressive employment opportunities so that each individual may advance to the work area of his or her choice.
- To recruit job opportunities in the least restrictive environment possible based on the individual’s abilities and interests.
- To provide the best and most efficient services to individuals, staff, and the community with a positive and professional attitude.
Leisure Services Opportunities for Individuals of Retirement Age
The Adult Activity Center, located on Ellisville State School’s campus, seeks to enhance the quality of life for individuals of retirement age by providing a variety of activities which may be utilized during leisure time. Therapeutic leisure activities are conducted in a structured environment and are designed to promote successful transition for seniors from a work setting to a leisure setting. The center serves individuals 55 years of age and over, who reside on Ellisville State School’s campus and in the community homes, who are referred by their habilitation team.